We are seriously considering re-living the hell that was the road trip to San Diego last year.  The thing is, we all really want to go but Big Daddy and I don’t want to spend $1200+ on plane tickets. Can you blame us? There is just so much more to be done with that money (Like martinis and summer camps).

Of course we miss all our buddies in San Diego.

But I really want to see my daddy. He just turned 88! And it’s been almost a year since I’ve seen him.

He still has all that hair! But there’s a lot of grey in it now.  See how much we look alike? When Zeta was born, already looking just like me, Big Daddy said, “I’ve got another clone of Ben.” My dad loves it!

Things we learned from the last road trip:

Don’t stay at a hotel (the kids won’t sleep, the parents will be pissed and it’s a waste of time and money)

Slow down (that speeding ticket certainly cut into the vacation budget)

Give the kids melatonin (they won’t be tired and just pass out in the car. No. They’ll stay up and drive you nuts)

Fill the cooler with food and drinks (stopping to load up at the gas station or driving thru just eats up time and money. Not to mention the over-consumption of junk food)

Make sure they all have electronic toys (Listening to 3 girls fight over a DS does not make for a fun road trip)

Wish us luck! Are you taking a road trip this summer? Got any tips for me?

9 Responses to Summer Road Trip

1. avatar Chris says:

Please come visit!

2. avatar Trish says:

We’re definitely coming! Sometime in the last two weeks of July.

3. avatar Shauna says:

Ha! Our road trip took an entire month! And we went through boring places like Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma! We stayed in Best Western hotels because they have this deal where you stay two days you get a free day later. I agree with you on the food…I got fat on our road trip! Also, the electronic toys, art paper, colored pencils, etc…

4. avatar Shauna says:

You do have 3 kids though. I can’t even handle Bug and a playdate!

5. avatar Molly says:

So excited you’ll be coming!! Make time to see us! Can I organize an ‘event” or a kids ‘playdate?”

6. avatar Trish says:

Shauna, we just want to power thru the road trip. We stopped on the way down and it was a disaster. Took 3 hours for the kids to settle down and fall asleep. Way back up we didn’t stop. Got here in 24 hours. One day when they are older, the road trip will be part of the vacation. For now, it’s just survival.

7. avatar Trish says:

Molly, of course we are planning to see you guys! Yes, as the time gets closer lets figure out a playdate/moms date :)

8. avatar chris h says:

Hope to see you! My kids have camp the week of July 23rd so bump it out! ;)

9. avatar Trish says:

Chris, planning on seeing you and your kids! :) Are they camp-free the week before? I think we’ll shoot for the 13th – 20th. Somewhere in there. Keep you posted.