1. Take a cruise I know what you’re thinking: what part of going on a cruise requires guts? Well, you see I am one of those people that gets horribly motion sick. On boats, planes, in cars . . . I always get sick. I have to take Dramamine to fly any distance or sail any further than on the ferry between Bainbridge and Seattle or when driving for longer than an hour – especially if driving in the mountains. However, my motion sickness affliction has gotten better as I’ve gotten older and there are so many new medicines I can take. Someone is always recommending something to me when I mention why I can’t take a cruise. I just wish I had the balls to go for it and see if I could actually survive a cruise without puking. I’m afraid I’ll feel horrible for most, if not all of the trip. And if you have never suffered from seasickness let me just say, it’s just about the worst feeling in the world.
2. Take a class in something that is out of my comfort zone Improv, acting, painting or photography. Something creative that doesn’t have anything to do with writing. But every time I think about taking such a class (and there have been a couple times recently), I hear a voice in my head saying, “You can’t do that! You will sputter and freeze and turn 30 shades of red! If you try to paint or create something it will turn out to be crap and everyone will think you suck.” I wish I had the balls to shut that voice down. Tell her to fuck off.
3. Vlog I have been talking about putting videos on my blog for at least a year now. The (one-sided) conversation always goes like this: “I’m going to start making videos for my blog. My stories are so funny, but what makes them so funny is the funny way I tell them and my voice inflections. I’m totally going to do that! Maybe I’ll start a vlog series or something.” And then? I don’t. I will read up on how to vlog; go to a presentation on vlogging at blog conferences. And then, I do nothing. I’m afraid I won’t really come across that funny or be as natural in front of the camera as I am when I’m just speaking to friends. Also? I’m sooooo lazy. I don’t want to have to figure out the lighting and the camera crap and put on make up and brush my hair. Lord, that sounded really bad. I should just get my shit together and get on this. I totally would if I weren’t so afraid I’ll look an ass.
4. Cancel cable I have been talking and thinking about this a lot lately. The cable bill is out of control! Not to mention my TV line up. I watch too much, y’all. But the thought of going without Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Big Brother, The Good Wife, etc, etc, etc gives me the shakes. I know, I know! I can stream shows on Netflix or Redu or Hulu or all 3! And still won’t be paying anywhere near what I am for cable. I just don’t know. I’m scared, you guys. I wish I had the guts to pull the plug on Comcast. Anyone out there watch a lot of TV like me and successfully pull the plug on cable?
5. Live in a foreign Country Big Daddy has wanted to do this for years. Awhile ago he had a serious bug up his ass to move us all to New Zealand. I just absolutely flat out refuse. I have a litany of reasons, but really they could all easily be shot down. I’m sure it would be an amazing experience. Not only for me, but for the girls. And I know from leaving San Diego for New York City, what it can do for you to get a new perspective and broaden your horizons. I can’t imagine the benefits of submerging yourself in another country’s culture. But, I’m scared. Scared of starting over with making friends; finding work; how it will effect the kids. Maybe when they are all grown Big Daddy and I can retire to Paris.
What do you wish you had the guts to do?
TagsAging Beauty blog Boyfriends car wash Cleaning Community Competition Cooking craft Crafts dare devils dirty Family Food Friends grocery shopping hands off Health Housewife housewife duties idle parenting Kids knit Menopause mexican food minivan Mommy mothers pantry Parenting parenting techniques Product Review projects readers reality tv Recipe sew Socializing stuffed animals Television Update vacuum video whining