I have a love-hate relationship with my kids sleeping in my bed. They love it, I hate it. I’m kidding.  I mostly love it. But then I don’t. Here’s the thing: sometimes they get into the bed and just sleep. No moving around, or squirming or fighting over who gets to be next to Mama. They just snuggle up and sleep. And that? Well, I love that. Their sweet, warm bodies cuddled up with us. But there are other nights when they are kicking the covers off; ramming their knees are into my back and putting their elbows in my eye; and someone is having a bad dream.

They don’t come into the bed in the middle of the night every night. And it’s not always all of them. Sometimes it’s one other times it’s two and on occasion all 3 have climbed into our bed somewhere between midnight and 4am. Sometimes I don’t even know one of them is in the bed until I wake up in the morning. So, see? It’s not all bad.

But Zeta is just too damn big! The girl is closing in on 9 years old and she’s tall for her age. She has long limbs and likes to sleep on a diagonal. And to sleep with her arms behind her head, which results in her elbow in my eye. If Zeta is already in the bed when Nita arrives, she will make a noise that sounds like a kitten crying and complain until she can get next to me. Then Zeta will complain that Nita always gets her way and it’s not fair. Then I will yell at them to zip it and go to sleep!

Jemima is really the best one to sleep with, so of course comes to our bed the least. She gets right in, burrows down under the comforter and goes right to sleep. And does not move until morning. She will even sleep through the other two fighting over who gets to be next to me. Plus, she’s tiny and compact. She doesn’t take up much space and she keeps all her limbs curled under her.

I do have to admit that there are times when all five of us are in the bed, and my heart is bursting with love. How lucky am I to have three amazing kids and a great husband? And a king size bed? Pretty damn lucky! Those times are usually on the weekend.

13 Responses to In My Bed

1. I’m coming off of a night with my boys in my bed so at this very moment, I’m anti it. But when I got into bed and looked at their sweet innocence all passed out, not bickering, but just cuddling, having them sleep in my bed was the best thing ever. Kids make king beds feel like it’s the same size as a hotel cot. Love the pic!
    Natalie@FourJedis recently posted..I’m Pretty Sure…My Profile

2. Ha Ha…this was me last night! We had the “family nest” going on. I was having a dream that I was being smashed and couldn’t move…I woke up and I WAS smashed…between my two kids and I couldn’t move! And, my oldest is going on 9 too…I feel your pain! But, wonderful at the same time. Cheers!
    Suzanne @ The Wine{a}be recently posted..Master bedroom Re-doMy Profile

3. avatar Trish says:

Obviously, I am coming off a night of the kids in the bed too. I’m so glad I’m not the only one with mixed feelings on this.

4. avatar Scot207 says:

I always enjoy having my kids on my bed. They always do that before they go to their bedrooms at night. Hope this will still be the same even if they grow older…
    Scot207 recently posted..Comment se muscler rapidementMy Profile

5. avatar Sandra says:

I miss those days. Except, that is, when I remember waking up to a swinging fist in the face, haha.

6. avatar Trish says:

Yes, Sandra, it’s all fun and games until someone gets a black eye.

7. You would hate it even more if you had one more kid and a queen size bed. Why didn’t I insist on getting a king??! Naw, as poorly as I sleep with them in the bed, I always lift the covers when they come into our room half asleep.
    Christine@TheAums recently posted..How Two Loose Teeth Turned Into Fifty-one DollarsMy Profile

8. avatar Trish says:

Me too, Christine. But you need to get the king bed!!

9. avatar JR says:

you like the weekend because youre too drunk to know they are even there.

10. avatar Trish says:

Oh, JR. You know me too well. The truth is I’m drunk every morning, but during the week I’m forced to get up early. On Saturday and Sunday I can sleep it off.

11. avatar Donna May says:

You are gorgeous and you have gorgeous babies! I started letting my kids sleep with me when I was nursing – much easier just to roll over, flop it out and go back to sleep! Unfortunately, my daughter was still coming into our bed at 9 or 10! and she was a nudger, kicker, blanket hog! Its all fun and games until someone (Mom) doesn’t get any sleep!!

12. avatar Trish says:

Aw, Donna May, you are too kind. I started co-sleeping when I was nursing too. Never thinking that 8.5 years later they’d still be climbing into my bed.

13. avatar montana02 says:

Hi there,

I really enjoyed my time with my kids in my bed. Even sometimes it gave me problems, I enjoyed it most of the times.
    Your babies are so cute! :)
    montana02 recently posted..Understanding Human Trafficking and What to Do to Stop ItMy Profile